The North 40 is a 46-acre undeveloped parcel of land off Weston Road that was purchased by the town from Wellesley College in December 2014. This triangle-shaped area includes the Weston Road Community Gardens, walking trails and a vernal pool and is a favorite passive recreation site for Wellesley residents. The town leased 22-acres of this land from 1955 to 1960 for a sanitary landfill.
Currently the town is working to develop long-term use plans for the area. Under the terms of the sale, a portion of the property will support open space. The NRC recognizes the value of this town natural resource and supports investing in this habitat and preserving the North 40 for generations to come.