WE ARE FULL! As of February 1, we have a full academy for the spring. However, we are still accepting applications for another session in the fall of 2017. Dates are to be determined.
The Wellesley Police Department will be holding a Citizens Police Academy for the public starting on March 22, 2017. The academy meets weekly starting at 6:30 PM for approximately 2 hours during the evening at the Wellesley Police Department.
The Citizen’s Police Academy is designed to give our participants an overview of the police department functions and operational procedures. Classes are taught by Wellesley Police Officers in a relaxed atmosphere. The classes that are taught are designed to be informative as well as interesting to the participants. Most classes are interactive in nature, and range from lectures to tours, and wherever possible, hands on practical demonstrations by the attendees.
Some of the topics and subject matter that are taught at the Wellesley Police Department include the following:
· E 9-1-1 system in Massachusetts & How the police are dispatched to emergency and routine calls for service
· Motor Vehicle Law & the Operating Under the Influence of Alcohol (OUI) law in Massachusetts
· Domestic violence
· Police interview & interrogation and witness identifications at crime scenes
· Narcotics & drug investigations
· Computer/Internet crimes
· Massachusetts Criminal Law and Procedures
· Crime prevention and security in Wellesley
· Crime scene search and evidence procedures
· Defensive equipment and defensive procedures
Once the academy has been completed, participants are eligible to partake in a ride along with a Wellesley Police Officer during their tour of duty.
For more information please contact Lieutenant Marie Cleary at 781-235-1212 or [email protected]